How to Pray When You’re Pissed at God
“Punnett understands the real politik of human frailty,” author Mary Roach says of Ian Punnett’s book, which includes examples from the Psalms and everyday people. Punnett uses his ministerial work as a sideline to his career as a radio host.
After bobbling a ball in 2010, Buffalo Bills wide receiver Steve Johnson became enraged and tweeted: I praise you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!!! And this is how you treat me!!! You expect me to learn from this!! I’ll never forget this!! Moses stood up to God, and God backed down. The lesson is that God can handle the occasional angry outburst.
Psalms is a collection of 150 Hebrew songs and prayers divided into five or six main “themes,” most of which are self-explanatory. Lament is a tricky word to use because it means “an expression of sorrow or grief.” Lament psalms are often laced with anger toward and resentment of God.
Frida Ghitis: Some people find it difficult to maintain a relationship with God, and she says prayers can be a lot less “Holy Bible” and a lot more “Holy $h#!.” In the depths of my rage, I became a “protest atheist,” stopping going to church and reading the Bible when I was 19. I lost my virginity on the hood of a stranger’s car under a full moon for God’s attention.
What is the prayer to give yourself to God?
I believe You died for my sins and rose from the dead, and I turn from my sins and invite You into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as my Lord and Savior.
Can you pray not to a God?
You don’t have to believe in God for prayer to work, which makes sense because you don’t have to subscribe to any particular religion or believe in any God to meditate, and the same is true of prayer, though Harris isn’t aware of it. You can be a praying atheist, or a “pray-theist,” if you prefer.
How do you pray for a specific thing?
God can answer vague prayers, but being specific creates a stronger bond between you and Him. Tell God what you want or need and ask Him to provide it for you.
Can I get angry with God?
We get angry with God when we don’t have all the facts; it’s so easy to think we know everything when we only see a small part of the picture; we get angry with God when we see others claim to know Him and then act hypocritically; it’s easy to blame God for other people’s mistakes.
How do I overcome anger with God?
God’s Way of Dealing with Anger
- Restrain It. u201cFools vent their anger, but the wise quietly hold it back,u201d says Proverbs 29:11. This verse does not mean that the wise bury their anger or do not deal with it, but it does mean that they control their anger and how they express it.
How do I receive Jesus?
Invite Jesus into your heart to become your personal Lord and Savior through prayer.
- “For man believes unto righteousness with his heart (core being), and confesses unto salvation with his mouth.” ( Romans 10:10)
- “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” ( Romans 10:13)
How do I bring God into my life?
Keeping God’s Plan for Your Life in Mind:
- Be in prayer. Being in prayer is one way to know you’re on track with God’s plan for your life.
- Be actively reading the Bible.
- Follow the commands He places on your heart.
- Seek a godly community.
- Obey the Truth.
What are the most powerful prayers?
The Top 15 Most Influential Prayers
- Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit, that all my thoughts may be holy.
- The Lord is my shepherd
- I shall not want.
- O gracious and holy Father,
- Morning Prayer.
- Christ with me, Christ before me,
- The Serenity Prayer.
How do you pray if you’re an atheist?
As an atheist, here are four keys to praying like a Pentecostal.
- Find a good listener.
- Be honest. There’s far less pressure to maintain a facade or pretend to be better off than we are when we share our innermost thoughts and feelings with no one or nothing.
- Let go.
- Listen to your heart.
What does an atheist say instead of praying for you?
Instead of saying, “I’ll pray for you,” say, “Is there anything I can do for you?” “I’m here for you. Anything I can do for you, just ask; let’s meet up again soon to talk some more.”
How do you pray if you are not religious?
For your eulogy or condolence letter, here are a few non-religious funeral prayers to consider.
- U201cLet Me Gou201d
- u201cFarewell, Sweet Dustu201d
- u201cDo Not Weep at My Graveu201d
- u201cTo Those I Love and Those Who Love Meu201d
- u201cA Song of Livingu201d
How do I receive God’s blessings?
“Cleanse your mind; clean up your act,” in the fullest sense, as God himself removes your desire for impure thinking and impure ways of acting, purifying your being from the inside out. “Seeing” God: the blessing promised in this beatitude is to know Him as your Father (by being in His presence).
Does God care about what I want?
God is able to do abundantly more than we can ask for, think about, or pray for, just as Solomon was able to do abundantly more than we can ask for, think about, or pray for. God’s heart is to do even more than you are asking for.