How to Pray: 5 Practical Tips
I know prayer has power and can change lives, but when I sit down to pray, my mind wanders back to the last season of Downton Abbey or to my to-do list after three minutes. Many Christians struggle with knowing how to pray, and I suspect I’m not alone.
Why do we struggle with how to prayer?
We often believe that in order for prayer to be effective, we must pray long and eloquently. However, Paul was clearly referring to a heart attitude, not a never-ending prayer meeting. The fewer the words, the better the prayer; God hears even our shortest “SOS” prayers.
Tip 2: Read the Bible and Pray Over Verses
Allow David’s words in the Psalms to enliven your prayers, and stop in the Gospels to pray over a verse that strikes you, asking God to work that truth into your heart.
Tip 3: Make Prayer Active and Multi-Sensory
When we turn prayer into a purely mental exercise, it becomes tedious. Lighting a fragrant candle can signal to our brains that “it’s time to pray.” Listening to music can help us focus on God. Many people enjoy doodling, drawing, or painting while praying.
Tip 4: Make Prayer an Integral Part of Your Day
“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances,” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17 says. Why not try an experiment? Start and end your day with prayer. Lift up short prayers to God as often as you can throughout the day.
Tip 5: Pray Expectantly
Remember Colossians 4:2: “Devote Yourselves to Prayer, being watchful and thankful,” and how much more exciting prayer becomes when we keep our eyes open to watch for God’s answers.
What do you say when you pray?
You can address God as “Dear God,” “Our Heavenly Father,” “Jehovah,” or any other name you have for him; you can even pray to Jesus if you want. Recognize God’s greatness. If you believe in God, you believe he is the creator of the world and all life on Earth.
What is the best prayer to God?
Loved God, I pray that you will comfort me in my suffering, strengthen the hands of my healers, and bless the methods used to cure me; give me such faith in the power of your grace that I may put my complete trust in you even when I am afraid; through our Savior Jesus Christ, Amen.
How should a beginner pray?
What is the procedure for praying?
- Recognize God’s will and sovereignty.
- Express your needs and remember to pray for others.
- Repent and ask for forgiveness.
- Ask God to keep you from temptation.
- Close with praise and adoration.
How do I start a prayer line?
What is the Best Way to Begin a Prayer Line?
- Choose a dependable network to host your prayer line.
- Set up your prayer line agenda.
- Invite attendees to your prayer line.
- Listen to or read the prayer requests you receive and follow up.
- Monitor and manage your prayer line.
Can I ask God for faith?
Ask God to increase your faith because it is impossible to please God without faith (11:6), but it is possible to please Him with faith! An increased faith yields an increased desire to please God, crushing any desire to please man.
How do I keep my faith in God strong?
How to Maintain Your Faith in the Face of Adversity
- Pray to God, the universe, or whatever higher power you believe in for the strength to love to your full potential.
- Be generous to others.
- Get inspired.
- Surround yourself with people you admire.
How do you talk to God?
It’s fine to pray with your eyes open and your head held high, just as it’s fine to pray kneeling and silent. It’s common to recite some traditional prayers out loud, but it’s also very common to pray silently to yourself.
How do I connect with God spiritually?
Without going to church, here are 9 ways to be spiritual and connect with God:
- Slow down.
- Meditate or pray.
- Enjoy the outdoors.
- Stay open to finding God within yourself.
- Look for God in each person you meet.
- Stay open to experiencing the Spirit in unexpected places.
How do I pray to God for a miracle?
Repeat the Catholic “Miracle Prayer” to help you focus: “Lord Jesus, I come before Thee, just as I am, I am sorry for my sins, I repent of my sins, please forgive me, and I forgive all others for what they have done against me in Thy Name.”
How do I start a prayer line for free?
How to Begin a Prayer Line
- Recruit listeners for your prayer line.
- Create a free conferencing account to host your prayer line with up to 1000 people at a time.
- Prepare a subject or topic for your prayer line ahead of time.
- Inform your participants that your prayer line is ready to go!
What do you say at end of prayer?
You’ll probably hear an amen at the end of a Christian prayer; some Christians end their prayers by saying, “All God’s people said” or “In Jesus’ name.”
How do you lead a prayer meeting?
Consider beginning the prayer meeting with a 1-5 minute period of silence to help people connect to God through themselves. Encourage people to completely focus on God during this time.