When God Says No to Your Earnest Prayers
Have you ever prayed earnestly for something only to have God say no? Bob Greene asks, “What should we do when God says no to earnest prayers?”
Paul’s thorn was a messenger from Satan, sent to harass him and keep him from becoming conceited; he “pleading with the Lord” on several occasions to remove it, but he would have to bear the pain-inducing, weakness-exposing, prayer-evoking thorn.
Paul’s request for a thorn in his flesh was turned down by the Lord in 2 Corinthians 12:8, but instead of relieving his pain, the Lord promised grace to deepen his dependence on God. Here are four gracious truths to keep us from despairing when the Lord says no.
1. Beware of Satan’s Lies
Immerse yourself in the Psalms and engage with the inspired prayers of suffering saints. The Lord may have said no to one request, but he’ll never say no to your pleas for grace.
2. Trust in God’s Wisdom
When God rejects even our most sincere prayers, we must trust that his wise plan may require him to do so. David “quieted [his] soul” by casting himself on the Lord’s wisdom. Unanswered prayer can be perplexing for us, but it was not for him.
3. Rest in God’s Goodness
Has God forgotten to be gracious? Has he shut up his compassion in anger? Psalm 77:9 asks, “Has God forgotten to be gracious?” I can be tempted to doubt God’s goodness to me at times, but Jesus wants us to know that our heavenly Father only gives us good things (Psalm 84:11).
4. Trust God Will Answer Soon
On this side of glory, we endure unanswered prayers, but one day soon, the Lord will answer his people’s prayers with a hearty yes, as we see in Revelation 4:25, when the risen Lord Jesus opens a scroll that contains God’s plan to deliver his people.
What are signs that God is listening to your prayers?
God Is Answering Your Prayers in 4 Ways
- God Answers Your Prayers Through Scripture. God always speaks through His word.
- God Answers Your Prayers Through Others.
- God May Answer Your Prayers Audibly.
Is God listening to me when I pray?
We are taught in the scriptures that if we address God with faith and real intent, He will always hear our prayers and will answer them; in our hearts, we will feel the confirmation that He does hear us, a sense of peace and calm; and we will also feel that everything will be fine if we follow the Father’s will.
Why does God not listen my prayers?
– God will not answer your prayers if they are motivated by selfish motives and driven by hidden pride in your heart; whoever turns away his ear from hearing the Law, his prayer [shall be] abomination.
What are the 7 signs of the Holy Spirit?
Wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and fear of the Lord are the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, which some Christians accept as a definitive list of specific attributes, while others see them as examples of the Holy Spirit’s work through the faithful.
How do you know if God is trying to tell you something?
Repetition, or when a theme or message jumps out at you repeatedly, is one of the most obvious ways God tries to get your attention. It can be through Scripture, sermons, articles, podcasts, or any other means He chooses.
How do you know God is helping you?
You can instead make new choices.
- God’s Audible Voice.
- Wise Counsel.
- Visions and Dreams.
- Your Inner Knowing.
- Blocked Paths.
- Do you do your devotions or Bible study every day but consciously choose to live in direct opposition to His word?
When God answer our prayers?
8 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.u201d ( Matthew 7:7-8) I also believe that when our heavenly Father responds to our prayers, He always responds with what is best for us.
How can I hear God’s voice?
How do you go about practicing listening prayer?
- Bring your request for guidance to God.
- Wait in silence for 10-12 minutes for God to speak to you.
- Write down any Scripture, songs, impressions, or pictures God gives you.
- Share how God spoke to you with your prayer partners and follow God’s will.
What do I do when God is silent?
Bring it to the Lord, speak to him, be honest in front of him, trust that he hears you, take refuge in his faithfulness, and know that there is a mighty God who loves you behind every heavy silence.
Does God forgive all sins?
All sins shall be forgiven, except sins against the Holy Ghost; for Jesus will save all except the sons of perdition; he must first receive the Holy Ghost, have the heavens opened unto him, and know God, and then sin against him; there is no repentance for a man who has sinned against the Holy Ghost.
What are the signs that the Holy Spirit is in you?
5 Indications That You Are Filled With The Holy Spirit
- 1) Change. 2) Growing in the Fruit of the Spirit. 3) The Holy Spirit’s Leading. 4) Speaking in Tongues. 5) Spirit Testing.
What are the three signs of the Holy Spirit?
There are three terms in this set.
- Fire represents the Holy Spirit transforming our inner lives.
- Wind represents the Holy Spirit transforming human relationships in their communities.
- This represents the Holy Spirit transforming human relationships.
What did Jesus say about the Holy Spirit?
“But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me,” Jesus says in John 15:26.